Ambassador opens restored Martry Mill (Co. Meath)
Around 400 people gathered at Martry Mill (Co. Meath) for the Kells Tourism Day which saw a number of tourism products being launched, and the opening of the Mill by Mrs Emmanuelle d’Achon, French Ambassador to Ireland.
The mill has been in near constant service since 1641 but due to water levels falling in the Boyne River, had to resort to electric power but now can grind its flour again using the power of the Blackwater River.
The Ambassador also launched the French translation of the Kells Tourism Brochure, which was translated voluntarily by Fábienne Melard from Paris, who had visited Kells 40 years before, and edited by Headfort School.
A presentation was made to the Ambassador by Lucy O’Reilly, chair of the Kells & District Tourism Forum, volunteers of which had put the programme of events together. The Ambassador received a replica copy of the Kells Market Cross, Coole Swan products and a Handmade Soap Company product.
Coverage of the event in the Meath Chronicle:http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/06/11/4016263-french-ambassador-opens-restored-martry-mill/